These are the three articles in English you must learn.
’A’ and 'An’
- We use them with singular nouns.
Eg A boy not A boys.
- We use ‘a’ and ‘an’ while talking about someone or something in general.
A man took it. A lady was here. A car knocked the pole.
- We use ‘a’ with nouns that begin with consonants.
Eg a cow, a chicken, a dog
- We use 'an’ before nouns that begin with vowel sounds (a, e, i, o, u)
Eg an orange, an apple, an NBA player, an elephant, an owl an umbrella.
- ’A’ and ‘An’ can be used with adjectives before a noun but rule 4 above is followed.
- He bought a car.
- He bought a black car.
- A friend of yours was here.
- An old friend of yours was here.
- We use the when we are talking about specific people or things.
- The Tv is dead.
- The man is here.
- When we are speaking about unique things.
- The ocean was rough today.
- The river was red.
We do not use all the above articles a, an and the;
- With names of people, cities, countries, continents etc
- With adjectives alone
With games and sports, food,
Eg It’s the hot.