In English, numbers can be confusing for new learners as it can get messy as shown below;
The Zero (0)
We can either say zero or nought please check you dictionary for the right pronunciation.
- We don’t add ‘s’ after hundred, thousand and million to make them plural
e.g That is we say,
- Four hundred not four hundreds. (400)
- Twenty thousand not Twenty thousands (20,000)
- Fifty million not Fifty millions (50, 000,000)
- We use a or one with all these numbers.
100 = one hundred or a hundred
1,000 = one thousand or a thousand
1,000,000 = one million or a million
- In numbers, we say point for (.) not dot .
e.g 2.5 = two point five
We use point (.) not comma (,)
i.e 2.5 not 2,5