Heteronyms are types of homographs with different pronunciations, same spelling but different meanings. Most heteronyms can either be a noun or verb.
Also you can define it as a word with the same spelling as another or others, but with different meaning and pronunciation eg tear , a drop of water from the eye, and tear , to rip something.
See examples here;
- Present -She got a nice present.(noun). I will present my research tomorrow.(verb)
- Subject -What is the subject. (noun). He was subjected to pain.(verb)
- Export -Our country has many exports from China.(noun). We export many goods to Europe.(verb)
- attribute - (at-TRIB-ute) to ascribe; (AT-trib-ute) characteristic
- close - (CLOZE) to shut; (CLOHSS) nearby
- conduct - (CON-duct) behavior; (con-DUCT) to direct or manage
- conflict - (CON-flict) disagreement or fight; (con-FLICT) to be in opposition
- console - (CON-sole) upright case; also, computer terminal; (con-SOLE) to comfort someone
- construct - (CON-struct) something constructed; (con-STRUCT) to assemble
- content - (CON-tent) substantive part; (con-TENT) satisfied
- contract - (CON-tract) agreement; (con-TRACT) to shrink or to agree on a project
- convert - (CON-vert) one whose belief was changed; (con-VERT) to change one’s belief
- convict - (CON-vict) prisoner; (con-VICT) to find guilty
A word that has a different pronunciation and meaning from another word with the same spelling.
See my youtube video here
See more sources on this topic below
Hope you learnt something.
Heteronyms: Definition and Examples (thoughtco.com)